Saturday, February 8, 2014

Coconut Cashew Butter




Confession time. Growing up, I never really liked peanut butter that much. I hated the sticky feeling when it gets stuck to the roof of your mouth. I liked my PB&Js to be more J than PB. . . by a lot.

When I first when to college and had to go through hours of agonizing ice breakers, my "fact" about myself is that I didn't like peanut butter. Some people would actually gasp, "What?!" Other people just stared, mouths agape, confused.



I've since seen the error of my ways. In the past year or so, I've gone from peanut butter pessimist to a nut butter lover. Just last night I found myself knuckle deep in huge jar of Skippy. I was having a moment.

Need proof that I'm officially converted?

 Exhibit A:
Peanut butter has been my gateway drug. I've fallen for the allure of almond butter. Cashew butter calls to me from the shelves at the grocery store. The problem? My bank account has taken a serious hit because of it.

Ten dollars for a jar of almond butter? A measly jar of cashew butter for $13? Are these people on drugs? Am I on drugs for paying that much? True story: I almost talked myself into buying a $20 jar of pistachio butter "just to see what it's like." That's just not ok.

But I kept buying them, somehow justifying the price tag. And then I discovered the magnificent, money-saving powers of the food processor. Just two ingredients and 15 minutes later, this happened.





Now, my pantry is always stocked with almond butter. Never again will I pay $13 for cashew butter.  Not when I can get a 15oz jar of cashews at the Christmas Tree Shop for $5.99 and make my own -- AND make it any flavor I want! 

I've been on a coconut kick lately, so obviously had to add it to my first batch of cashew butter.

Use it like regular peanut butter, aka put it on everything!  I like putting it on toast, oatmeal, bananas and apples, in smoothies -- you name it, I've topped it with cashew butter.

Or, there's my personal favorite way to eat it: Straight from the jar.

Recipe:
1c Whole, unsalted cashews
1 tbs Coconut cream
1/8 tsp Salt
1 tbs Stevia (or sweetener of your choice, optional)

Directions
1. Add cashews to food processor. Blend for about 5 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed. At first it will be crumbly, and will start to get creamy as the natural oils are released.
2. Once it's creamy, add the cream if coconut and salt until well blended. I think the flavor is perfect on its own, but you can add sweetener
3. Try not to eat if by the spoonful.

Makes 8 servings

Nutrition -- 2 tbs = 88 calories
Carbs: 3g Fat: 4g Protein: 1g

No comments:

Post a Comment