Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Strawberry Coconut Sorbet



For real, I hate winter. Once the first snow has come and gone in New England, the fun is gone. The only thing left is bone-chilling, soul-crushing cold. And snow. So. Much. Snow. 

Thanks, Polar Vortex.

The other thing that is the worst about this time of year: nothing grows. When I yelled, "Are you serious?!" at the $4.99 carton of pathetic, half-green strawberries in the grocery store, people stared. I didn't care. Broke girl's on a budget and I miss my berries! I wiped my tears and walked away empty-handed.

I finally broke down the other day and bought some frozen strawberries. Cheaper and not quite the same, but it's an addict's compromise.

It was all because I was craving ice cream. (Actually, when aren't I craving ice cream?) And yes, I need ice cream just as much as ever, even in the dead of this particularly Arctic winter.

When I got home I broke out the food processor. Two ingredients and five minutes later, coconut sorbet was in my mouth, and I was happy. Did I mention a whole serving is only 75 calories?? That made me even happier. So basically I could've eaten the entire batch and been ok with it.

Now excuse me while I go eat more and pretend to be somewhere tropical.

-- Cara

Recipe
3 cups frozen strawberries
6 tbs shredded unsweetened coconut
2 tbs stevia (or whatever sweetener you prefer!)

1. Rough chop the strawberries; add them and the coconut to food processor. Pulse, slowly adding water until smooth.
2. Add stevia. Blend until smooth. The color and consistency will change a bit once you add the sweetener. 
3. Eat it. It's really that easy.

Nutrition: 1/2 cup - 75 calories
Carbs: 12g Fat: 4g Protein: 1g

No comments:

Post a Comment